Joel's practice is devoted to the representation of developers and landowners in all aspects of municipal, regulatory, and environmental issues concerning the development, redevelopment and use of land. Joel also handles complex expropriation and public procurement matters for the private sector. Joel regularly appears before the Ontario Municipal Board and the Ontario Courts, including the Divisional Court and the Court of Appeal.
Joel works extensively in the areas of Land Use Planning and Development, Expropriation, Public, Administrative and Municipal Law and Commercial Litigation.
JUNE 26 2018
New Developments in Real Estate Law
Join Joel Farber, Alex Kolandjian, Kenneth Movat and David Thiel for a discussion on recent developments in real estate law and how they may affect your business. Topics to be covered include:
- An update on the OMB and planning reform changes. Bill 139 fundamentally changes the planning appeal system in Ontario. Learn about the new rules, requirements and restrictions that will affect your planning applications and the approvals process.
- An analysis of Ontario’s new standard form of residential lease. Learn about who has to use the new form, when it has to be used and some of the key concepts contained within.
- Ontario’s Construction Lien Act is on the verge of being replaced with the new Construction Act. Hear about the significant changes to lien procedures, prompt payment legislation and adjudication. The first round of changes will take effect July 1, 2018 and the second round will come into effect 15 months later on October 1, 2019. Don’t be caught off guard.
- The Condominium Act, 1998 and its regulations continue to go through a number of changes. Learn about the most significant changes to date, how condominiums and property managers are dealing with the practical effects, and what changes are anticipated going forward.
MAY 04 2012
In Municipal news, Joel Farber prevailed in an expropriation decision at the Ontario Municipal Board against the City of Toronto.
- Honours Business Administration, Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario
- LL.B., University of Western Ontario