Howard Burshtein is a partner whose practice focuses on securities, with an emphasis on mergers & acquisitions and corporate finance (domestic and cross-border). He acts for clients in takeover bids and other business combination transactions, public and private securities offerings and advises public companies, investment banks and other market participants on various aspects of securities law, stock exchange matters, and complex transactions. He also advises public companies and their boards on corporate governance and regulatory compliance matters, and acts for public companies and investors in shareholder activism matters. He has an active mining practice and recently has been advising clients on private equity's emerging role in the mining sector.
He advises clients on cross-border transactions in emerging and other markets. He also advises on the federal Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act (CFPOA) that applies to Canadian corporations and individuals facing foreign anti-corruption risk in connection with their operations and transactions.
Prior to joining Fogler, Rubinoff LLP, he was a partner in both a leading Canadian law firm and an international law firm. Earlier in his career, Howard Burshtein served as a legal counsel with the British Columbia Securities Commission, and was a staff member of a B.C. government-appointed inquiry into the former Vancouver Stock Exchange and securities regulation in British Columbia. Prior to earning his law degree, he worked as a journalist, and completed the publishing management program at Stanford University.
Howard secured regulatory approval for Canada's first offering of securities over the Internet. Howard is ranked as leading lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell.
NOVEMBER 30 2017
Blockchain – The Promise and the Perils
Presented at Lexpert’s 9th Annual Information Privacy and Data Protection Conference, November 30, 2017, Toronto
NOVEMBER 30 2017
LEXPERT’s 9th Annual Information Privacy and Data Protection Seminar
Bill Hearn, Howard Burshtein, Ron Davis, Sheryl Johnson, Rob Macdonald, Rudy Morrone, Young Park, Colleen Spring Zimmerman and Ravi Shukla will be speaking at LEXPERT’s 9th Annual Information Privacy and Data Protection Seminar. This full day course will highlight:
- Big Data and Other Developments in the Public Sector and Elsewhere
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) - Implications for Canadian Business
- Privacy Litigation Cases - Recent Developments
- Blockchain - The Promise and The Perils
- OPC Compliance Priorities and Strategic Directions
- Cyber Risk Management Guidance for Corporate Directors
- Issues in Employee Privacy
- CASL Update
- Capital Markets and Securities
- Stock Exchange Listing
- Corporate Governance
- Equity and Debt Finance
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Public Company Maintenance and Compliance
- Private Equity
- Corporate Commercial
- Infrastructure and Public Projects
- Governance and Regulatory Matters
- Competition, Trade, Procurement and Investment
- HudBay Minerals Inc. in its acquisitions of Hudson Bay Mining & Smelting Co. Limited and Skye Resources Inc. and in its early warrant exercise incentive transaction raising over $104 million
- ITOCHU Corporation in its acquisition of an interest in an Australian-based, Toronto Stock Exchange-listed mining company
Ontex Resources Limited in its $50 million acquisition of Roxmark Mines Limited
- Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. in connection with its successful takeover bid of Clarington Corporation
- Anaconda Mining Inc. in connection with its hostile take-over bid for a subsequent plan of arrangement with New Island Resources Inc.
- Canada 3000 in its initial public offering and subsequent takeover bids for Royal Aviation and CanJet Airlines
Capital Markets and Securities
- Royal Gold, Inc. in a US$235 million cross-border public offering
- High River Gold Mines Ltd. in a $101 million bought deal
- TD Securities Inc. in a US$34 million Northbound MJDS offering by Mine Management
- BMO Nesbitt Burns and CIBC World Markets in connection with an $60 million public offering by Algonquin Power Income Fund
- CIBC Work Markets and BMO Nesbitt Burns in connection with an $86 million public offering Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp.
- Dundee Securities Corporation in the initial public offering of Detour Gold
- Metallic Ventures Inc. in its initial public offering and various financings
- Research Capital Corporation in a $57.5 million MJDS offering by Glamis Gold Inc.
- GMP Securities in $38 million private placement by Elgin Resources Inc.
- Tonbridge Power Inc. in its going public transaction and in its US$161 million financing with Western Area Power Administration pursuant to the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
- Ontario Ministry of Finance on Internet issues related to successive $4 billion and $3.4 billion Ontario Savings Bond offerings
- Written on a wide range of legal issues for The Lawyers Weekly and The National
- Queen's Annual Business Law Symposium, The Corporation in the 21st Century, Author
- Presented on "Blockchain – The Promise and the Perils" - Lexpert Information Privacy and Data Protection Conference
- Guest lecturer at Queen's University law school
- Guest lecturer at University of Toronto business school
- Presented on domestic Chinese regulatory approvals required for outbound transactions - Canadian Institute
- Disclosure considerations in the context of public mining company M&A transactions - Federated Press
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada
- British Columbia Bar, 1996
- Ontario Bar, 1999
- University of British Columbia, LL.B
- University of Minnesota, B.A.