Harris was called to the Bar in 1994. Since then, he has headed up a regulatory department in a public company, engaged in practice, and raised venture capital to co-create a consumer-friendly credit product. Harris has had considerable experience in administrative law, regulatory, and corporate matters. His clients have include large Fortune 100 Companies, as well as a diverse number of small and medium-sized businesses.
Since his return to private practice in 2002, he has acted almost exclusively for private-post secondary institutions, including private career colleges, private career training institutions, and private degree granting institutions. More recently, Harris has been retained by a significant number of corporate training organizations who wish to navigate or avoid the rules and regulations governing registered private post-secondary institutions.
Harris represents private colleges across the country, with an emphasis on regulatory compliance and government accountability. He and other members of Fogler Rubinoff’s Education Law section routinely advise colleges on IP matters, labour and employment matters, and education-specific litigation. He also represents private career colleges in relation to the purchase and sale of registrant schools, and on student discipline issues.
In 2012, Harris was involved in the creation of the Lucia Colavita Foundation, a Charitable Trust in memory of Lucy Colavita, with a mission to promote research and development of the surgical knife, and provision of educational programs for disadvantaged students.
Harris successfully (on procedural and substantive grounds) argued the Ontario Fire Academy case, a seven day Hearing against the Superintendent of Private Career College, in 2011. He also successfully argued the Business Skills Inc. case in 2010, and has been successful on a significant number of Freedom of Information Requests relating to access to information by private career college requesters. Most significantly, Harris has settled many more discipline files involving private career colleges at the pre-hearing stage and informally with the Superintendent.
MARCH 01 2017
What's "Trending Now" in Digital Advertising & Marketing Law
SEPTEMBER 20 2016
In Search of a Voluntary Disclosures Program
In Search of a Voluntary Disclosures Program, authored by Harris Rosen and Karen HO was published by The Voice, the magazine of the Career Colleges of Ontario Association. The Article appears on page 19.
Private Career Colleges
Private Career Colleges, private degree Granting institutions and private schools.
- Contributor to the Canadian regulatory section of the World Bank Group's Doing Business 2017: Equal Opportunity for All.
- In Search of a Voluntary Disclosures Program, Author, The Voice, September 2016
- School Violence (Remembering Sandy Hook Victims), Author, April 2013
- Proposed Anti-Bullying Legislations: Bills 13 and 14, Co-Author, January 2012
- Annotated Private Career Colleges Act, 2005 and Regulations, 2013 Co-Author, Creswell, Loose Leaf Service
- Doing Business 2011, Making a Difference for Entrepreneurs, 2011
- Regulation of Truck Training Schools under Private Career Colleges Act, 2008 Author, Truck News, May 2008
- Student Contracts Refresher, 2008 Co-Author, Ontario Association of Career Colleges
- Doing Business 2008 (Comparing Regulations in 178 Economies) Contributing Co-Author, Canadian Section, A Co-Publication of the World Bank and the International Finance Corporation
- Private Career Colleges Act, 2005, Annotated, 2007 Co-Author, December 10, 2007
- Bullet-proofing your Private Career Training Institution, October 24, 2007 Boot Camp for Private Career Training Institutions, 2007 Co-Author, Vancouver Pinnacle Marriott, British Columbia Materials Presented to the BC Career Colleges Association
- Student Contracts and Disclosure Obligations of Private Career Colleges, January 23, 2007 Boot Camp for Private Career Colleges, 2007 Co-Author, Toronto,, Ontario Materials presented to the Ontario Association of Career Colleges
- Law Firms May Face Sanction in Canada for Violation Under PIPEDA, 2005 Canadian Lawyer, October 205
- PIPEDA and the Credit Reporting Agencies, 2003 The Lawyers Weekly, October 3, 2003
- PIPEDA and the Credit Reporting Agencies: Part 2, The Lawyers Weekly, October 10, 2003
- Reinventing Small Business Financing Toronto Business Times, September 2001
- Polite Schmoozing with a Merry Bank of Webgirls, The Globe and Mail, July 20, 1998
- The Class of '92 Report on Lawyers, The Globe and Mail, August 12, 1997
- Laundromat Sues Mediacom, Now Magazine, February 5, 1996
- Cyber terrorists weapon: words, The Globe and Mail
- Firm Banks on Open Competition for Cellular, The Globe and Mail
- 1980's Grad, Harris Hosen New College Alumni Magazine, Spring-Summer 2002
- Telecommunications Fraud and the Criminal Law, Media Communications Law Review, Vol. 4 No. 1, December 1993
- Advertising and Phone Apps - Corporate Trainers and Post-Secondary Education, Speaker, What's Trending Now in Digital Advertising & Marketing Law, February, 28, 2017
- Fogler, Rubinoff Fall Institute, October 6, 2016
- Anti-Bullying and Democracy Panel, Moderator, International Language Academy of Canada, 2016
- Provincial Anti-Bullying Legislation, Co-Author, Presentation to Fogler, Rubinoff LLP Continuing Legal Education Program, 2015
- Loose Lips Sink Ships: Understanding Provincial Freedom of Information Legislation, Co-Author, Presentation to Fogler, Rubinoff LLP Continuing Legal Education Program, 2015
- Sexual Violence & Harassment in the Workplace, Presentation, Boot Camp for Private Career Colleges, April 23, 2015
- International Student ISP Designation Process, Presentation and "ISP Designation Rules" Author, Boot Camp for Private Career Colleges, April 23, 2014
- For Profit Education; Student Presentation, October, 2014
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), Co-Author, Presentation, Boot Camp for Private Career Colleges, August 14, 2013
- Globalization of Education, OBA Education Law Session, Co-Chair, February 9, 2012
- Distance Education, Co-Author, Presentation, Boot Camp for Private Career Colleges, February 6, 2013
- Accommodation Issues for Private Colleges, Presentation at the BCCCA Conference, Richmond, B.C., October 29, 2011
- Private Post-Secondary Education and Global Change: Opportunity Knocks, 2010 Co-Author, Presentation at Canada-India Education Conference, Pearson Convention Centre, Toronto, Ontario, September 27, 2010
- Duty to Accommodate Students and Prospective Students (update), 2009 Cco-Author, Presentation at National Association of Career Colleges Conference, Banff Alberta, November 5, 2009
- Duty to Accommodate Students and Prospective Students, 2008 Co-Author Presentation at the National Association of Career Colleges Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia, June 1, 2008
- Co-chaired the OBA Institute's Education Law session on Feb. 9/12 entitled Globalization of Education.
- Ontario Bar Association Education Law Section
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association Privacy Law Section
- Trinity College Tennis Club Mens "A" Team
Awards & Distinctions
- Entrepreneur of the Year (Ernst and Young) 2001
- University of Ottawa, LL.B., 1992
- University of Toronto History, English, Political Science, Sociology, B.A. (Hons.), M.A. Arts, 1989
- Admitted to Ontario Bar, 1994
- Rudolf Steiner Centre On behalf of my colleagues I would like to thank you for your assistance in pursing our case with the Ministry. We have re-formulated the names of our courses all of which are now exempt from ministry registration. Now our work can carry on. Warren Cohen
- I would like to thank you and your staff for everything you have done. I do not think anyone else could have accomplished this mountain of a task. Larry Matlashewski, Ontario Fire Academy
- Lucia Colavita Foundation
- Student Mentorship Program, New College, University of Toronto
- Harris Rosen Book Prize to New College, University of Toronto